I, the owner of Literary Aside, understand that your privacy is important to you. Furthermore, I acknowledge that you care about how your personal data is used. I respect and value the privacy of everyone who visits the website www.literaryaside.com (hereinafter “website”). Therefore, this website will only collect and use personal data in ways that are described here, and in a way that is consistent with my obligations and your rights under the law.
1. Definitions and Interpretation
In this Policy, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
“Account” Means an account is required to access and/or use certain areas and features of this website;
“Cookie” Means a small text file placed on your computer, mobile phone, or tablet by this website when you visit certain parts of this website and/or when you use certain features of this website. Details of the Cookies used by our website are set out in Part 14, below;
“Cookie Law” Means the relevant parts of the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.
2. About Literary Aside
This website is a personal blog on literature. It covers multiple aspects of English literature, literature history, literary devices, famous authors, and periods in literature. It’s purpose is solely to educate and entertain.
For any questions, send your email at [email protected]
3. What Does This Policy Cover?
4. What is Personal Data?
Personal data is defined by the General Data Protection Regulation (EU Regulation 2016/679) (the “GDPR”) as ‘any information relating to an identifiable person who can be directly or indirectly identified in particular by reference to an identifier’. Personal data is any information about you that enables the owner of this website to identify you. Personal data covers obvious information such as your name and contact details (like email). But, it also covers less obvious information, such as identification numbers, electronic location data, and other online identifiers.
5. What Are Your Rights?
Under the GDPR, you have the following rights, which I will always uphold:
- The right to have your personal data rectified if any of your personal data held by this website is inaccurate or incomplete. Please contact me using the details in Part 15 to find out more on how to do this.
- The right to be forgotten, i.e. the right to ask me to delete or otherwise dispose of any of your personal data that the website might have on you. Please contact me using the details in Part 15 to find out more.
- The right to restrict (i.e. prevent) the processing of your personal data.
- The right to object to the website using your personal data for a particular purpose or purposes.
- The right to data portability. This means that, if you have provided personal data to the website directly, the website is using it with your consent or for the performance of a contract, and that data is processed using automated means. You can ask me for a copy of that personal data to re-use with another service or business in many cases.
- Rights relating to automated decision-making and profiling.
- For more information about this website’s use of your personal data or exercising your rights as outlined above, please contact me using the details provided in Part 15.
Further information about your rights can also be obtained from the Information Commissioner’s Office or your local Citizens Advice Bureau or equivalent government body.
If you have any cause for complaint about this website’s use of your personal data, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office or equivalent government body.
6. What Data Does This Website Collect?
Date of birth;
Job title; Profession;
Information about your preferences and interests;
Web browser type and version;
A list of URLs starting with a referring site, your activity on our website, and the site you exit to;
7. How Do You Use My Personal Data?
Under the GDPR, I must always have a lawful reason for using your personal data. This may be because the data is necessary for the website’s performance to be improved following your preferences, because you have consented to the website’s use of your personal data, or because it is in my legitimate interests to use it. Your personal data may be used for the following purposes:
- Providing and managing your access to this website;
- Personalizing and improving your experience on this website;
- Supplying my products and/or services to you. Your personal details are required in order for me to enter into a contract with you.
- Personalizing and improving my products and services for you.
- Communicating with you. This may include responding to emails or calls from you.
- Supplying you with information by email and/or post that you have opted-in to (you may unsubscribe or opt-out at any time at the bottom of any email you received from me).
- Analyzing your use of this website with certified tools (like Google Analytics) and gathering feedback to enable me to continually improve this website and your user experience.
- With your permission and/or where permitted by law, the website may also use your personal data for marketing purposes. Such marketing purpose may include contacting you by email and/or telephone and/or text message and/or post with information, news, offers on my products and/or services. You will not be sent any unlawful marketing or spam. I will always work to fully protect your rights and comply with my obligations under the GDPR and the Privacy and Electronic Communication (EC Directive) Regulations.
Third Parties (including Google, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Twitter) whose content appears on this website may use third-party Cookies, as detailed below in Part 14. Please refer to Part 14 for any additional information on controlling cookies. Please note that I do not control the activities of such third parties, nor the data that they collect and use themselves. Therefore, I advise you to check the privacy policies of any such third parties.
8. How Long Will You Keep My Personal Data?
I will not keep your personal data for any longer than is necessary for the light of the reason(s) for which it was first collected.
9. How and Where Do You Store or Transfer My Personal Data?
This website may store or transfer some or all of your personal data in countries that are not part of the European Economic Area (the “EEA” consists of all EU member states, plus Norway, Iceland, and Liechtenstein). These are known as “third countries” and may not have data protection laws that are as strong as those in the EEA. This means that I will take additional steps in order to ensure that your personal data is treated just as safely and securely as it would be within the EEA and under the GDPR as follows.
I may share your data within the group of cooperating partners that I work with. Where this involves the transfer of personal data outside the EEA, I ensure that personal data is protected by requiring all companies within the group to follow the same rules with respect to personal data usage. These are known as “binding corporate rules”. More information on binding corporate rules is available from the European Commission.
10. Do You Share My Personal Data?
I may share personal data with other partners that I cooperate with the goal of improving the services I offer to you. This includes present cooperation partners, and future cooperation partners.
If any of your personal data is required by a third party, as described above, I will take steps to ensure that your personal data is handled safely, securely, and in accordance with your rights, My obligations, and the third party’s obligations under the law, as described above in Part 9.
If any personal data is transferred outside of the EEA, I will take suitable steps in order to ensure that your personal data is treated just as safely and securely as it would be within the EEA and under the GDPR, as explained above in Part 9.
11. How Can I Control My Personal Data?
In addition to your rights under the GDPR, set out in Part 5, when you submit personal data via this website, you may be given options to restrict the website’s use of your personal data. In particular, I aim to give you strong controls on this website’s use of your data for direct marketing purposes (including the ability to opt-out of receiving emails from me which you may do by unsubscribing using the links provided in my emails and the ability to revoke cookies at any time, and the ability to restrict cookie placement which is visible at all times during your visit on the website.)
12. Can I Withhold Information?
You may access certain areas of this website without providing any personal data at all. However, to use all features and functions available on the website, you may be required to submit or allow for the collection of certain data.
13. How Can I Access My Personal Data?
If you want to know what personal data I have about you, you can ask me for details of that personal data and for a copy of it (where any such personal data is held). This is known as a “subject access request”.
All subject access requests should be made in writing and sent to the email shown in Part 15. Tell me everything I need to know to respond to your request as quickly as possible.
There is not normally any charge for a subject access request. If your request is ‘manifestly unfounded or excessive’ (for example, if you make repetitive requests), a fee may be charged to cover My administrative costs in responding. I will respond to your subject access request within less than one month and, in any case, not more than one month of receiving it. Normally, I aim to provide a complete response, including a copy of your personal data within that time. In some cases, however, particularly if your request is more complex, more time may be required, up to a maximum of three months from the date I receive your request. You will be kept fully informed of the progress of your request.
This website may place and access certain first-party (owned by us) Cookies on your computer, mobile phone, or tablet. First-party Cookies are those placed directly by us and are used only by us. We use these Cookies to facilitate and improve your experience on this website and to provide and improve its services. I have carefully chosen these Cookies and have taken steps to ensure that your privacy and personal data is protected and respected at all times.
By using our website, you may also receive certain third-party Cookies on your computer, tablet, or mobile phone. Third-party Cookies are those placed by websites, services, and/or parties other than the website and/or myself. Third-party Cookies are used on this website for website analytics though Google Analytics and for Google advertisement placements via Google AdSense. The types of advertisements present on this website are published via Google Ads. Google’s use of advertising cookies enables it and its partners to serve ads to users of this website based on their visit to this site and/or other sites on the Internet. Any user may opt out of personalized advertising by visiting Ads Settings.
Non-essential Cookies are not integral to the functioning of this website and your use and experience of this website will not be impaired by refusing consent to them.
All Cookies used by and on this website are used in accordance with current Cookie Law.
Certain features of our website depend on Cookies to function. Cookie Law deems these Cookies to be “strictly necessary”. These Cookies are defined as Essential Cookies. Your consent will not be sought to place these Cookies, but it still important that you are aware of them. You may still block these Cookies by changing your internet browser’s settings as detailed below, but please be aware that this website may not work properly if you do so. I have taken great care to ensure that your privacy is not at risk by allowing such cookies to be placed in your browser.
This website uses analytics services provided by Google Analytics, Facebook Analytics, Google AdSense, and other analytics tools. Website analytics refers to a set of tools used to collect and analyze anonymous usage information, enabling me to better understand how this website is used. This enables me to improve my website and the services offered through it.
In addition to the controls that I provide, you can choose to enable or disable Cookies in your internet browser. Most internet browsers also enable you to choose whether you wish to disable all Cookies or only third-party Cookies. By default, most internet browsers accept Cookies, but this can be changed. For further details, please consult the help menu in your internet browser or the documentation that came with your device.
You can choose to delete Cookies on your computer or device at any time, however, you may lose any information that enables you to access this website more quickly and efficiently including, but not limited to, login and personalization settings.
It is recommended that you keep your internet browser and operating system up-to-date and that you consult the help and guidance provided by the developer of your internet browser and manufacturer of your computer or device if you are unsure about adjusting your privacy settings.
15. How Do I Contact You?
To contact me about anything to do with your personal data and data protection, including to make a subject access request use the following details.